Type of Hacienda: Sisal, Cattle
Service: Special events
Location: Chichí Suárez is outside the Merida ring road, in what is now the Chichí Suárez residential area, to the northeast of the city.
History:It was founded in the 16th century by the Conquistador Alonso de Rosado, and is one of the oldest haciendas in Yucatan. It is said that, after passing through various owners, it was sold for 100 pesos by the landholder Catarina de Andrade to Juan de Montejo Maldonado, grandson of Francisco de Montejo the Younger, founder of Merida. He resold it, in 1640, for 2000 pesos. One of its most famous owners was the governor and captain-general of Yucatan, Antonio de Figueroa y Silva Lazo de la Vega y Ladrón del Niño de Guevara, who defeated the English in Belize and died in 1733, having just returned from accomplishing this feat. The catalogue of Heritage Sites, Haciendas an Houses of Merida, published by the City Council, records that in the 17th century deed of sale “it is stated there are two houses of stone roofed with straw, a stone shrine, wells and drinking fountains for animals”18. There are no further records of change of ownership until 1919, when it came into the hands of Olegario Molina, under the name of Santa María Chichí. From 1922 to 1935 it was owned by different people until in 1948 it was taken over by Víctor Suárez Molina (who gave it the name “Chichí Suárez”) and in 1953 it came into the hands of Mr. Omar G. Díaz y Díaz.