Type of Hacienda: Sisal
Service: Religious courses.
Location: San Pedro Chukuaxín is located in the east of the city of Merida, at #100 14th street in the Chuminopolis residential area, and it is currently known as the “Casa de la Cristiandad” or “Christendom House”.
History: Since San Pedro Chukuaxín is one of the oldest ranches in Yucatan, close to Merida, property of the sons and grandsons of the first Conquistadors, as were the haciendas at Petcanché, Mulsay, Techoh and Teya, among others, it holds a privileged place as one of the most historic sites in Yucatan. The oldest reference to the hacienda dates from 1605, when it seems it belonged to the then dean of the Cathedral Leonardo González de Zequeira, who had acquired it from the treasurer Pedro Gómez. According to contemporary documents “in the lands of the hacienda, González de Zequeira created the first sugar cane plantation in the region and the corresponding industry was begun by the then owner, who in his will in 1605 bequeathed the ranch to his nephews Thomé de Rua y Baltazar Correa, on condition that they continue sugar production”17. In accordance with this, we find in San Pedro Chukuaxín one of the few examples of a sugar hacienda and later cattle ranch in Yucatan, and one which in this case was very close to the urban area, and today is inside it. It was considered a ranch from before the 18th century, and belonged to the Jesuit priests, who were expelled form Yucatan in June 1767 following a decree of king Carlos III of Spain covering Spain and her colonies. In the end, with the Jesuits gone, the building came into the hands of the Tridentine Seminary. Without a doubt, San Pedro Chukuaxín is one of the haciendas with the greatest history: it is also related that in the 19th century it was notable for the Nativity scene which the priests and seminarists of the diocese displayed during December. According to contemporary sources it had colonial figurines that the people of Merida would come and look at. At the end of the 19th century, the mansion was rebuilt by the owner, Eduardo González Gutiérrez, to install a gunpowder factory. In 1902, González Gutiérrez ceded it to the 37th bishop and first archbishop of Yucatan, Mons. Martín Tristchler y Córdova, with the idea of establishing a Conciliar Seminary there. In 1914, the building was sold to Bernardo Cano Castellanos and a year later expropriated on orders from general Salvador Alvarado, who established an Agricultural School at San Pedro Chukuaxín. In 1918, the building passed to the executor of Cano Castellanos’ will; between 1920 and 1930, it housed the “Rodolfo Menéndez de la Peña” School and between 1931 and 1933 the “Casa de la Salud” or “Health House”. Finally, in 1935 it came to Bernardo Cano Mañé, son of Cano Castellanos, who sold it in 1952 to Joaquín Acevedo Ruiz del Hoyo. He divided the propert On a stone plaque on the south wall of the main entrance to the mansion, we can read the Jesuit phrase “to the greater glory of God”, also referring to the present function of the building, which is used to give courses in Christianity. The plaque was unveiled on the 8th of August 1962 by the then archbishop of Yucatan, Mons. Fernando Ruiz Solórzano. and urbanized it in 1964, later donating the building in 1966 and setting up the “Casa de la Cristiandad”, which still operates there.