La Erre
La Erre
Telephones: 111-1976
   

The origins of the hacienda go back to the first half of the 17th century. In 1606, the viceroy Marqués de Montes Claros ceded the site with cattle and eight caballerías [c. 330 hectares] to Pedro Rodríguez Montero, who sold it a few days later to Hernán Carrillo Altamirano, an advocate of the Royal High Court in Mexico. The hacienda grew to be one of the largest estates in Guanajuato. In 1619, Juan Altamirano Saavedra, a relative of Hernán Carrillo, became owner of several haciendas, including La Erre. Later the place was inherited by Rodrigo Mejía y Altamirano, High Sheriff of the Royal High Court of New Spain. By then the haciendas formed part of a single economic complex, the Hacienda de la Erre. Rodrigo Mejía y Altamirano died, and the hacianda passed to his daughter, Juana Mejía Altamirano y de Tovar, married to Carlos de Luna y Arellano y Sámano, Marshal of Castile. Over the years, the hacienda changed hands through inheritance, but always within the same family, and it was not until after the insurgent movements of the War of Independence that the hacienda was abandoned. On the façade there is a plaque dated 16th September 1810, which tells how Miguel Hidalgo arrived and lunched at the hacienda. In 1824, the hacienda was sold to Mateo Delgado. In 1890 it changed hands, after having been inherited by various members of the family, and became the property of Manuel Rubio; his archive and library are still intact. When Manuel Rubio died, the building passed to his daughter María Guadalupe, who split up the hacienda, ending one of the largest estates. Today the hacienda is being restored to be converted into a hotel.

In the town of Dolores Hidalgo.

Hotel
|