San José del Carmen
San José del Carmen
   

This hacienda was formed by a land grant of two sites: one with lime and another with a quarry, given to the Carmelite friars in 1648 to build a monastery. Thanks to donations and purchases of various pieces of land, the property grew and became known as Hacienda de San José del Carmen. In 1664 it was sold for 14 thousand pesos to Nicolás Botello. He expanded the hacienda, although it already had 1260 hectares under crops and six areas for cattle. On Botello's death, his heirs - who were in debt - decided to sell the hacienda to its original owners, the Carmelite friars. This sale took place on 24th November 1729. The site then passed through various hands. In 1872 it belonged to a Spaniard named Francisco Llamosa; his family, over the years, set about extending the hacienda lands (it came to have resevoirs within its boundaries). In the early 20th century the hacienda properties were divided up among the peons and workers; thus ended an estate that had reached an extent of 12,273 hectares.

In the town of Salvatierra, Guanajuato.

For sale
|