San Gaspar
San Gaspar

In 1614, Inés Soto was granted a licence for a cane plantation on the lands of the hacienda. In 1740, José de Palacio acquired it and set up the plant, which went on to become the most important in the industry during the 18th century. Later, the lands of Santa Rosa Asesentla were added to San Gaspar, the former having an important water concession. In 1786, the owner of the hacienda was Esteban de la Riba Palacios, who rented the hacienda to Tomás González de la Huerta for seven years. In 1845 the hacienda was managed by Francisco Obregón, who is said to have been grandfather of General Álvaro Obregón and also, through an illegitimate son he had with an Indian woman, of the feared General Genovevo de la O, an important lieutenant of Zapata and state governor during the Revolution. Ramón Portillo y Gómez, who owned the El Puente hacienda, became owner of San Gaspar for a short time, after which it passed to the Béistegui Company. Now integrated with Chiconcuac, Dolores and San Vicente group, it was then sold to the son-in-law of Benito Juárez, the rich Spaniard Delfín Sánchez. At this time, the milling process was concentrated at San Vicente, and San Gaspar was reduced to an annexe. On Sánchez’ death his daughter Isabel Sánchez Juárez inherited the property. In 1927 it was sold to General Francisco J. Serrano, who was assassinated on the Cuernavaca – México highway, an episode known as “The Huitzilac Tragedy”. After a time, the hacienda was remodelled by its new owner, Hugo Beckman, director of Teléfonos de México. It was sold, and acquired by a real estate company which built a golf course and residential area on the lands, leaving the main buildings semi-abandoned.

On the outskirts of Cuernavaca, on the free highway to Cuautla. On reaching the Pedregal de las Fuentes residential zone, turn right (to the south), until reaching the village of Cliserio Alanís, on the outskirts of which stands the complex, below the San Gaspar residential area and golf club.

Residential area
Golf Course